What is Healthy Start?
- The purpose of Healthy Start is to reduce infant mortality. The infant mortality rate is the number of babies who die before their first birthday per 1,000 live births. This statistic is one element that is used throughout the world to evaluate the health of a population. (Source: Community Service Council)
- Tulsa Healthy Start provides outreach, education and case management services to women who are at extreme high risk of having a poor birth outcome. Services are provided throughout the pregnancy and until the child is two years of age. Community Service Council’s Babyline program provides outreach services for Tulsa Healthy Start by enrolling pregnant women in prenatal care. Community Service Council also provides case management support as well as staffing the consortium. (Source: Community Service Council)
- Infant mortality, low birth rate, and premature births are greater in the zip codes of North Tulsa.
Healthy Start at Morton
- Healthy Start at Morton Comprehensive Health Services will coordinate care of 60 patients each month through face-to-face, phone, and electronic care coordination.
- Case manager (Registered Nurse) will monitor client from prenatal period until the child turns 2 years of age.
- Assist client with scheduling and maintaining prenatal, post-partum, and well-baby visits.
- Assist client in achieving a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Ensure that client returns to MCHS following delivery to assure continuity of care.
- Provide education that assists our client population in attaining healthy life styles:
- Prenatal care
- Developmental milestones
- Importance of full term pregnancy
- How low birth weight can affect infant
- Refer to additional resources as needed.
Criteria for clients
- Pregnant women living in Tulsa County.
- Woman living in Tulsa county who has experienced a poor birth outcome(low birth weight = 3 lbs. 5 oz., very low birth weight 3 lbs. 4 oz or less, or death) within the previous year
- A child under the age of two whose mother is enrolling in healthy start.
- The newborn of a woman who is enrolling in healthy start.
For more information, contact Ms. La Maria Folks RN, BSN, Healthy Start Case Manager, Morton Comprehensive Health Services, 1334 N. Lansing Ave., Tulsa, OK 74106, (918) 295-9384 or firstname.lastname@example.org.